Wedding Cakes Bakeries for LGBTQ+ Weddings
Find LGBTQ+ friendly cake shops and wedding cake artists near you. Choose a bakery by location, creative cake examples and customer reviews. Find the best wedding cake bakery in your area.
Advice From EVOL.LGBT
HOW TO CHOOSE AN LGBTQ BAKERY NEAR ME?
Start your search for cake for gay wedding by definig what you’re looking for. Knowing what you want will make the search for the ideal gay couple wedding cake such much enjoyable.
Seek inspiration by browsing LGBT cake designs on Pinterest and Google Images. Search either of these sites for things like “gay wedding cake ideas” or “custom gay wedding cake toppers” or “lesbian wedding cake toppers”.
Reach out to family, friends and LGBTQ community. Recall some of the recent gay weddings you attended, review wedding cake pictures from that event.
Once you have a bunch of images of cakes for same sex couples, place them into your moodboard. If you already have a wedding mood board, add the cake photos to it. Having all images in one place will help you maintain the same wedding theme.
Now that you have a clear idea of what your tiered wedding cake should look like, let’s review cake options and packages.
Google “lgbtq bakery near me” or “cake shop gay wedding near me” and get a list of local wedding cake vendors offering gay and lesbian wedding cakes.
When considering options, start with creative cake examples bakeries share on their website and online profiles. Check cake shop customer reviews. Don’t try to find the best star rating. Instead look for volume of reviews and details of the testimonials.
Finally take a look at packages and pricing they offer. Remember, the cheapest cake is not not worth it and the most expensive is not always the best wedding cake.
Once you narrowed the list of LGBTQ friendly bakeries in your area it’s time to learn if your personality clicks. Reach out via EVOL.LGBT’s “Request Quote” feature. It walks you through the key pieces of info to share.
By now you’ll be left with a shortlist of cake shops in your area. Look at this stage as an interview. Consider asking your select vendors the same set of questions as follows.
- Are they available to design and create a cake for your date and time?
- Can they share how they accomplished other gay pride cake projects?
- What is the budget range they propose for your project?
Frequently Asked Questions
Check answers to common questions about choosing an LGBTQ+ friendly bakeries and making a cake to celebrate your same sex marriage.
How much does a wedding cake cost?
The average U.S. wedding cake costs around $350, according to Thumbtack, an online service that matches customers with local professionals. On the lower end, couples spend around $125 and on the higher end, they typically spend upward of $700 – often over $1,000! – on their wedding cake.
How to choose a bakery for your wedding cake?
Ask your friends and recent brides for word of mouth recommendations. Check out the local bridal expos in your area. Stop in nearby bakeries that have wedding cakes on display. With your research in hand, select about three to five cake bakers that you want to contact.
CAN A BAKER REFUSE TO MAKE A GAY WEDDING CAKE?
You’ve heard of the gay wedding cake case in which a Colorado baker Jack Phillips was refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple (Charlie Craig and David Mullins). Unfortunately, Craig and Mullins lost the case to The Masterpiece Cakeshop on the basis of Jack Phillips citing his beliefs as a Christian.
To avoid similar cases use our list of the best gay friendly bakeries in your area to take on your creative wedding cake project.
Follow Best Practices
Finding a wedding cake bakery as a same-sex couple should involve the same best practices anyone else would follow to find a quality cake artist. Let’s review some of those best practices here.
Research inclusive bakeries
Start by researching wedding cake bakeries known for their inclusivity and positive track record. Look for businesses that have demonstrated support for the LGBTQ+ community or have received positive feedback from same-sex couples.
Read reviews and testimonials
Check online reviews and testimonials from previous customers, particularly those who identify as same-sex couples. Positive reviews can indicate that the bakery is welcoming and respectful to all customers.
Reach out to your LGBTQ+ friends, family, or acquaintances who have recently married or planned weddings. Ask for recommendations and firsthand experiences with inclusive bakeries they may have worked with.
Visit bakery websites
Explore the websites of potential wedding cake bakeries. Look for visual cues, such as inclusive imagery and language that reflects their commitment to serving diverse clientele. Some bakeries may explicitly mention their support for same-sex marriages on their websites.
Contact the bakery directly
Reach out to the bakeries that catch your interest and inquire about their services. During your communication, pay attention to their responsiveness and the way they address your questions or concerns. A positive and respectful interaction can be a good indicator of their commitment to inclusivity.
Arrange consultations with a few select bakeries to discuss your wedding cake design and requirements in detail. This allows you to gauge their level of enthusiasm, creativity, and professionalism. Additionally, observe how they treat you as a couple, making sure they respect and value your vision for the cake.
Ask about their experience
Inquire about the bakery’s experience in creating wedding cakes for same-sex couples. Ask if they have any previous examples or portfolios featuring cakes they’ve made for LGBTQ+ weddings. Their familiarity with diverse celebrations can indicate their level of inclusivity.
Discuss your preferences openly
During the consultation, openly express your preferences and ideas for your wedding cake. A bakery that actively listens, respects your choices, and works with you to create a cake that reflects your style and personalities is likely to provide an inclusive experience.
Discuss your budget during the consultation and ensure that the bakery is willing to work within your financial constraints. Transparency and flexibility regarding pricing and options are essential factors to consider.
Trust your instincts
Pay attention to your instincts and the overall impression you get from each bakery. If something feels off or if you encounter any discriminatory behavior, it may be best to continue your search and find a bakery that aligns with your values.
Before meeting with potential wedding cake artists, the couple can explore various sources of inspiration to help them articulate their preferences and communicate their vision effectively.
Browse through wedding magazines that feature cake designs and real weddings. They often showcase a wide range of cake styles, colors, and decorations, offering inspiration for different themes and aesthetics.
Online Wedding Platforms
Visit popular wedding websites and platforms such as The Knot, WeddingWire, or Martha Stewart Weddings. These platforms usually have extensive galleries of wedding cakes, allowing couples to explore different styles and get ideas for their own cake.
Follow wedding-related accounts on platforms like Instagram and Pinterest. These platforms are treasure troves of wedding cake designs shared by both professionals and couples. Create mood boards or save images that catch your eye, as they can serve as visual references during consultations.
Explore wedding blogs dedicated to cake designs and trends. Blogs often showcase real weddings, styled shoots, and interviews with cake artists, offering insights into the latest cake design ideas and inspirations.
Art and Design Websites
Look beyond the wedding industry and explore art and design websites for inspiration—platforms like Behance or Dribbble showcase creative works from various fields. Searching for cake designs or related keywords can yield unique and artistic cake ideas.
Cultural and Seasonal References
Consider incorporating cultural or seasonal elements into your cake design. Look for inspiration from your heritage, traditions, or the time of year your wedding takes place. Incorporating personal and meaningful elements can make your cake even more special.
Fashion and Interior Design
Draw inspiration from fashion trends, fabric patterns, color schemes, and interior design styles. These fields often provide fresh ideas and unique combinations that can be translated into cake designs.
Nature and Botanicals
Explore the beauty of nature and botanical elements for inspiration. Floral designs, greenery, and organic textures can be incorporated into cake decorations, offering a romantic and natural aesthetic.
Personal Hobbies and Interests
Consider incorporating elements related to your hobbies, passions, or shared interests as a couple. Whether it’s sports, music, travel, or any other significant aspect of your lives, these personal touches can add a meaningful touch to your cake design.
Previous Works of Potential Artists
Research the portfolios or previous works of the cake artists you are considering. This will give you an idea of their style, skill level, and ability to bring your vision to life. Look for cakes they have created for same-sex weddings or cakes that showcase inclusivity.
Ask Your Wedding Cake Bakery
When meeting with a potential wedding cake designer at a consultation, it’s essential for the couple to ask relevant questions to ensure a clear understanding of the designer’s capabilities, process, and ability to bring their vision to life.
Experience and Expertise
- How long have you been designing wedding cakes?
- Have you worked on cakes for same-sex weddings before?
- Can you show us examples of cakes you’ve created for LGBTQ+ weddings or diverse celebrations?
Design and Customization
- Can you accommodate our preferred cake design and style? Do you have a portfolio or examples showcasing a range of styles?
- How do you work with couples to translate their ideas into a cake design? Can we provide our design inspiration or incorporate personal touches?
- What is your process for customizing cakes? How do you ensure the design matches our vision?
Flavors and Options
- What flavors and fillings do you offer? Can we have multiple flavors within one cake?
- Do you accommodate dietary restrictions or special requests, such as vegan, gluten-free, or nut-free options?
- Can you provide a cake tasting or samples for us to try before deciding?
Pricing and Logistics
- What is the pricing structure for your wedding cakes? Do you charge by the slice, design complexity, or other factors?
- Are there additional fees, such as delivery or cake stand rental charges?
- How far in advance do we need to book our cake? Are you available on our wedding date?
Delivery and Setup
- Will you deliver the cake to our wedding venue? Is there an additional cost for delivery?
- How do you ensure the cake arrives in perfect condition? What precautions do you take during transportation and setup?
- Will you coordinate with our venue or wedding planner to ensure a smooth delivery and setup process?
Cake Size and Servings
- How do you determine the appropriate cake size based on our guest count? Can you guide us on the number of tiers or sheet cakes required?
- Can you create a smaller ceremonial cake for the cake-cutting tradition and offer sheet cakes for serving to guests?
- Do you provide cake-cutting services, or should we arrange that separately?
Timeline and Communication
- What is your typical timeline for designing and creating a wedding cake? When do you need the final design and flavor decisions?
- How often will we have progress updates or communication leading to the wedding day?
- How accessible will you be for questions or concerns during the planning process?
Payment and Contract
- What is your payment schedule? Do you require a deposit?
- Can you provide a detailed contract outlining all the agreed-upon details, pricing, and services to be rendered?
- What is your cancellation or refund policy?
References and Testimonials
- Can you provide references from previous clients we can contact?
- Do you have testimonials or reviews from same-sex couples or LGBTQ+ weddings you have worked with?